Harutyun Merdinyan is one of the 3 gymnasts who will perform at the Olympic Games in summer.
Mediamax Sport met Merdinyan and presents his interview.
- You’re 31 and you’ll be participating in your first Olympiad. How do you feel about that?
- The dream to take part in Olympics is what always kept me in sport. When I finally managed to win a quota last year, I was infinitely happy. There’s little time before the Games are launched, and responsibility has grown.
- Harutyun, you will perform the pommel horse out of 6 exercises. Why do you do that the best?
- I’ve loved this exercise since I was a boy, did it longer than others. My results were always better in pommel horse.
- What does one need to become a good athlete?
- First you need to be conscientious, attentive and disciplined, and you have to listen to your coach’s instructions.
- What is your first memory related to Olympic Games?
- I followed Alexei Nemov’s performance at the Olympic Games in 1996. I was very impressed that he took 6 medals at once. Of course, I also remember how Armen Nazaryan became a champion. We haven’t had a gold medal for 20 years, I’d be happy if our team could repeat Nazaryan’s success in Rio.
- Harutyun, name the most famous place in Rio.
- The statue of Jesus. I dream about seeing it and taking a picture with the statue in the back.
- Which Armenian holiday do you like the best?
- I’m very fond of Easter.
- What celebrity would you invite to dinner?
- Monica Bellucci, I’d be happy to dine with her.
- Your favourite cartoon character.
- Jerry from “Tom and Jerry”.
- Your best character feature.
- I’m hard-working.
- What kind of questions do you dislike?
- The kind that requires to describe myself, I always have difficulties with that.
- Who’s your biggest fan?
- I have many fans, but my mom worries about me the most. If I win a prize place, my family have to make sure she doesn’t faint.
- Your favourite place in Yerevan.
- Abovyan Street, where you can still feel the air of the old Yerevan.
- Finish the sentences. I wish that my first Olympic Games…
- Will leave good memories.
- When I stand on the podium, …
- I realize that the long and intensive training didn’t go in vain.
- I believe that there should be more…
- Kindness, peace and humanity.
- For me, gymnastics is…
- A way of living.
Hasmik Babayan talked to Harutyun Merdinyan
Photos by Emin Aristakesyan
The partner of the project